Programming and technical support
We use a licensed management system called Animal Shelter Manager to track the status of our dogs, their veterinary care, adoptions and adopters, transports, donors, supporters, volunteers, rescuers/fosterers and much more. This system has become the primary source of data for our dogs and even outputs code to create each dog’s web page using and API call. This is a robust system written in Postgresql, an open source RDBM that is very similar to SQL. In fact, anyone with SQL experience will have no problem with Postgresql.
- La Paz, BCS, Mexico
- San Diego, CA, USA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Anywhere else
Programming includes some managing of systems performance, providing tech support, reviewing and updating existing programs, identifying and fixing defects, supporting data architecture, generating reports, developing in-house software, and mitigating potential risk. Your expertise in the craft of programming will assist in increasing efficiency through construction, maintenance, and streamlining of our computing systems and programs.
- Coding and debugging.
- Designing and testing reports and features.
- Troubleshooting errors.
- Editing source-code.
- Profiling and analyzing algorithms.
- Providing technical support.
*Primary coding language used is Postgresql. Reports are designed with html and css.
- Volunteer Orientation
- Introduction to Animal Shelter Manager
- On-the-job training
Essentially, the programming and technical support team are critical to enhancing the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of systems, resolving errors, and design programs that reduce the need for human capital. As an all volunteer organization, the more tasks that can be automated, the more time our volunteers have for hands on work with the dogs or tasks that require human interaction. Here are some of the qualifications required:
- Willingness to support the Amigos de 4 Patas mission
- Postgresql or SQL coding skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- High concentration level.
- Good task management.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Successful completion of Volunteer Orientation Course
- Approximately 10 hours per week or more if desired.